So, you’re in a long-distance relationship?
Your world revolves around comparing calendars and figuring out who’s coming to who next.
You spend more time on the phone than you have since you were in high school...or ever.
It may be days, weeks, months, or a question mark as to when you’ll see each other next. And if and when you do get together, it can be emotionally exhausting to make sure things live up to both of your expectations.
Express your thoughts to her, even from afar with our
Flowered Vines Fortune Locket.
You live in a constant state of limbo, wondering how long you can keep this up. What if the conversations become stagnant or the thrill of it all fades? What if your bond can’t make it past the hardships? And which of you is going to be the one to ultimately pack up and move to the other?
There’s only one way to find the answers: live it out.
Although there’s nothing like being together in person, gift-giving in a long-distance relationship (or LDR, for short) is one a way to show them you’re thinking about them when the simple acts of holding hands and hugging aren’t possible.
We’ve created a guide to help you do just that, along with some tips to navigate a LDR—because every great love is worth it.
Communication is Key (bonus points for creativity)
When you’re far from your significant other, keeping in touch effectively is especially important in maintaining a close bond and building trust.
Since everyone is different, start by figuring out what the best style of communication is between you two. Maybe you’re a fan of texting and she prefers long phone calls or vice versa. Or maybe speaking through FaceTime or WhatsApp is your preferred mode of chatting. If you’re new to the distance, try out a few ways to communicate and see which works best for both of you.
Get to know each other’s schedule so, just say, if one of you has a work meeting, the other knows the reason why it’s taking longer to receive a response. Setting up a routine helps to avoid mixed messages and keep each other on track.
When it comes to gifts in a long-distance relationship, adding an element of communication can make it personal. One way to do so is by using the power of words to convey your thoughts.
Writing your own message? Get started with these ideas:
- The coordinates of a sentimental place for both of you.
- I left my heart in ________ with you, my love. (Fill in the city where she lives)
- A nickname that you have for her.
- There may be ____ miles in between us, but you’re still the closest person to my heart. (Fill in the miles between your addresses.)
- The countdown starts now. ____ days until I see you. (This may be fitting to build excitement if you plan on uniting for a special occasion—or just because. Just fill in the blank with the number of days from when she receives the piece until you two meet.)
Overall, strive for a message that’s authentic and reflects your relationship—whether it be quirky, cute, romantic, or funny. Be you.
You Can’t Go Wrong with the Classics When it Comes to Gifts in a Long-Distance Relationship
Let her know she has your heart with our Heart + Arrow Bracelet.
Sometimes, planning a fun activity with your faraway loved one can be overwhelming. Having a long-distance relationship is hard enough, and it’s understandable to want to make it great. But good thing some activities are classics for a reason. Simple things can still be effective and fun, like watching a movie together at the same time while on the phone, setting up a Zoom call, sending each other songs, or leaving a voice note. This idea goes for meaningful gifts in a long-distance relationship, too.
Speaking of classics, these timeless wise words can easily go inside:
- “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” —Charles Dickens
- “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” —Marilyn Monroe
- “Many people walk in and out of your life, but only true friends leave footprints in your heart.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “To the world, you're one person. But to one person, you're the world.” —Dr. Seuss
- “Distance is just a test of how far love can travel.” —E.E. Cummings
“Sometimes you have to be apart from the people you love but that doesn’t make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.” —Nicholas Sparks
- "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."— A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
Make Time to Visit Each Other, If Possible
Of course, the greatest gift in a long-distance relationship is the gift of seeing each other in person. Each relationship is different, and perhaps one way to keep things fair is to alternate traveling to see each other. Maybe set a schedule for in-person visits for, say, every three weeks.
Our Sphere and Wand Locket looks almost like a globe—open it up to reveal a secret fortune scroll in which you can also personalize.
To make the most out of meet-ups, one suggestion is to set plans to make each minute worth it. Of course, things might change and a dinner reservation doesn’t need to be set in stone, but having a general idea of how you choose to spend each moment may eliminate the time needed to brainstorm activities and such. There’s nothing wrong with impromptu visits, of course, if you’re both the spontaneous type.
If you’ve been writing messages for the locket and have extra sayings from your heart, you can even sprinkle these little pieces of paper in her suitcase the next she visits. And when she unpacks, she’ll think of you. Need help with inspiration? We’ve got you with this post on love quotes.
Make Everyday Things Count
Sometimes, it’s the little things that mean the most. Although it’s nice to celebrate holidays, a birthday, and other occasions, there’s beauty in the everyday. Keep the relationship between your girlfriend, friend, or family member exciting by spreading joy on an otherwise ordinary Tuesday morning or Thursday afternoon.
One way to do so is by sending your loved one a care package. My mom used to send me surprise packages when I was in college years ago—of course, she chose the healthiest fruit baskets filled with apples and oranges (such a mom thing) and I couldn’t have appreciated it more.
Our Fortune Cookie Earrings are playful studs that can easily be worn on the daily. Since earrings are one of the first things the wearer sees when looking in the mirror, she’ll likely appreciate you upon every glance.
There are no “rules” to gift-giving in a long-distance relationship—any relationship for that matter—and it’s hard to go wrong if it comes from your heart. Sending a care package can include anything from:
- A candle to relieve stress
- A pillow for hugs when you’re not there
- Her favorite snacks to enjoy
- Chocolate for something sweet
- A great book that you recommend
- A tea set to help calm nerves
- Flowers to brighten up her day
- A pair of earrings so she can think of you when wearing them
Make Yourself a Priority, Too
It takes two to be in a relationship of any kind, but to give love to someone else, it all starts with a healthy mindset. Self-care benefits not only you but also others you interact with.
If you’re burnt out, it may be difficult to be in a cheerful mood and that energy can translate to any conversation. Doing things in solitude can be satisfying for your mind, body, and soul. Other benefits of self-care? It can give you fresh topics to talk about the next time you connect!
Being healthy—physically and mentally—can help reduce your stress levels, boost your immune system, and improves compassion for yourself and others.
Some self-care ideas:
- Add meditation to your morning routine
- Create an at-home spa day
- Go for a run or bike ride
- Watch a romantic comedy
- Have a paint and wine night
- Look through old photos and make a scrapbook
All in all, long-distance relationships can be full of ups and downs (sigh), but no matter how many miles are in-between, the silver lining is that—with effort and creativity—you can still keep those dear to you close to your heart.
Looking for more posts on love? Take a read through:
- A guide on how to find the most thoughtful 1-year anniversary gifts for her (and the thoughts behind them).
- Our curated a mix of personalized anniversary gifts that will help you celebrate another year in love.
37 fortune cookie sayings about love to express your innermost feelings.
- Whether you're a natural gift-giver or a gift-giving novice, here’s how to choose a meaningful gift for her.