I remember the weight of my daughter when I first held her. Much more than her six pounds, thirteen ounces, I also carried with me the overwhelming power of motherhood. They don’t tell you about this during the prenatal appointments or about the crying. It wasn’t her tears that worried me, but my own. I cried pretty often back then: about knowing what to do, learning love without boundaries, taking solace in the unknown, and accepting the world that always seemed much too big for my tiny human.
As I look back, those first few weeks are some of the most difficult. I often think about how much I would’ve cherished thoughtful advice. Not only did I crave a voice of reason, but also reassurance that the years ahead would be some of the most rewarding.
Encouraging words for new moms can help reveal the treasure buried in a storm of uncertainty. We’re bringing you some of the most wonderful words of wisdom that can transform how a new mom embraces a painful, yet gratifying path.
Becoming a New Mom
There are moms from all walks of life. Moms who’ve just given birth, those who have adopted or taken in loved ones, step-moms, foster moms, and more. No matter their shape or form, mothers go through many sacrifices and hardships. They want to ensure their children get the chance to flourish and live happily. Yet, in our struggle to guide a new human in this world, we’re often left feeling exhausted and even inadequate.
As a new mom, you’ve probably scoured the internet for first-time tips and advice to help ease the anxiety of the I’m nurturing a real human journey. After all, no one teaches you how to be a mother. Many will say it’s inherent—you’ll know what to do when it comes. I had my doubts in the beginning, but I suppose that holds mostly true.
Still, it’s good to know that you’re not alone. And like the women before you, there may be a few missteps and hiccups. These are part of the deal. I won’t be the first to say that these small idiosyncrasies and blessings of life make it worthwhile. But in case you’re in search of support, find some inspiring words below.
How to Spread Encouragement to Mothers
The reality is that advice will pour in from all sides. Some advice is good and some may not be for you. You should take all advice with grace and in stride. The journey is nonlinear, but even in the downturn of things, it can be just as rewarding. Our mother-daughter quotes blog is full of encouraging words. It contains quotes of love, support, and strength to help empower a female perspective.
A Season of Hardship
Not everyone has heard of the fourth trimester, the 12-week period following birth. Many describe it as a time of significant physical and emotional change. As you adjust to life as a new mother, you may not experience pure bliss. I’m certain that corporations forget how dirty life can be with a newborn. All paper towels will tear under the pressure of spit-up and a three-pound soiled diaper. These are facts.
Point is, fourth-trimester life is anything but glamorous. Add to it increased rates of postpartum depression. In the face of all this negativity, there are veteran moms and friends who inspire hope. During this season of hardship, remind a new mom of her strength and tenacity. New mothers deserve attention, empathy, compassion, and respect.
Some words that may help lift her spirit:
- “My body grew and protected and birthed a child.” -Unknown
- “I am a powerhouse.” -Unknown
- “The challenges I face today will make me a better mother tomorrow.” -Unknown
- “My confidence as a mother grows every day.” -Unknown
- “I am leaning into this new season of life with grace and compassion.”
- “Don’t rush your healing.” -Unknown
- “Whenever you feel discouraged, just remember, you are the center of the universe to a tiny human you made from scratch.” -Unknown
- “When life gets hard, and you feel alone, remember, you mean the world to somebody, and that somebody will call you mom.” -Unknown
- “Mothers need just as much attention as a newborn because they too have just been born.” -Unknown
- “Be patient with yourself. You and your baby are both learning new things each day.” -Unknown
- “Whenever you feel you are failing, look in the eyes of your child and know your value.” -Unknown
Take time during the fourth trimester to focus on yourself.
Embracing the Postpartum Journey
Giving birth to an entire human is hard work. It takes months of dedication and sacrifice. Giving up alcohol, coffee, and sushi is no small feat, mama. The first few weeks may be full of joy, love, and sleepless nights. The focus will be on your small bundle of wonder, but you may find yourself at odds with the body that made it all happen.
With the right perspective, these changes can be empowering. Strength in building a human from scratch should never go unrecognized. Remember it for all the days ahead, but most especially when you choose to be unkind to your body.
Here are some words to help a new mom celebrate the postpartum body. Cheers to the body that made a dream a reality:
- “You are stronger than you were.” -Unknown
- “Postpartum is a quest back to yourself, alone in your body again.” -Unknown
- “I am so thankful for my body — it made a miracle.” -Unknown
- “I am releasing expectations of being perfect.” -Unknown
- “My curves are where they are meant to be.” -Unknown
- “I love my body for all that it is and all that it has created!” -Unknown
- “Write on your mirror: ‘I had a baby. I’m a superhero.’” - Kelly Rowland
- “My body has given me the greatest gift of my life.” -Hilary Duff
- “Don’t stress over your post-baby body. Just enjoy your new baby because these are beautiful moments and memories you will cherish forever.” -Jessie James Decker
Be thankful for your body and all that it created.
On Knowing What to Do
There’s a common misconception that women are born to be mothers. I remember doubting my abilities and wondering if I would fail because I wasn’t born with this gene. Was I nurturing enough? Was I equipped to look over a life that was not my own? Could I exist in a world where my self-identity felt muted? These are real questions and, for me, they were a daily plague of thoughts. As it were, I felt I wasn't qualified to care for even myself. Things like leaving my car keys in the fridge and eating ice cream before dinner made me feel ill-equipped.
Truth is, you learn to be a mother day by day. You'll make mistakes, but you'll also build your experience and wisdom. You learn about your child as they learn about you. In this embodiment of love, there is no greater gift. You are more than the title serves; you are stepping into shoes that only you can fill.
Words that may serve to remind you of your own wisdom:
- “I’m the only one who can give my children a happy mother who loves life.” -Janene Wolsey Baadsgaard
- “You can be a mess and still be a good mom.” -Unknown
- “To the world, you are a mother, but to your family, you are the world.” -Unknown
- “Even on the days you feel like you are failing, I promise you, your kids think you are the best mom in the universe.” -Unknown
- “There is no way to be a perfect mother but there are a million ways to be a good one!” -Unknown
- “Being a mom is the best reason you’ll ever have to take care of you.” -Unknown
- “Behind every great child is a mom who’s pretty sure she screwed it up.” -Unknown
- “Bad moments don’t make bad moms.” -Lisa Terkeurst
- “I always say if you’re not yelling at your kids, you’re not spending enough time with them.” -Reese Witherspoon
- “Sometimes I’m the mess. Sometimes I’m the broom. On the hardest days, I have to be both.” -Ruby Francisco
- “I didn’t lose myself in motherhood, I found myself.” -Unknown
- “Nothing else will make you as happy, as sad, as tired, or as proud as motherhood. For nothing is as hard as helping a person develop their own individuality while struggling to keep your own.” -Anonymous
It's important to remember that motherhood is a learning experience.
Celebrating the Small Things
Life isn’t made up of just the big moments, but rather a compilation of all the small ones. Unfortunately, it’s too easy to wallow in regret, especially when things are going wrong. Modern lifestyles have also put our existence on a fast track. We strive to catch up only to find we’re another 20 paces behind. For new mothers, it may feel like we’re missing the opportunity to recognize the things that count.
Celebrate imperfections and all the small things that may seem insignificant.
- “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.” -Unknown
- “The funny thing about kids is, they are the reason we lose it and the reason we hold it together.” -Unknown
- “Some days she has no idea how she’ll do it, but every single day it gets done.” -Unknown
- “Should I be asked about the most memorable day of my life, it would be the day you made me a mother.”
- “There will be a thousand tiny moments that make this journey worth it.” -Unknown
- “Motherhood, the perfect mix of chaos and love.”
- “Desperately seeking a break, but not wanting to miss a single moment.”
- “Motherhood is messy, but that’s where the magic happens.”
Even during the messy times, make sure that you're focusing on all the small moments.
Capturing Your Moments
For most moms, the journey to parenthood can feel exciting and, at times, a bit nebulous. Finding encouraging words for new moms can offer support in a time when it means the world. Moms deserve a way to commemorate the hard work, efforts, love, and support that they provide for their families. Find a keepsake that offers words of encouragement and celebrates the woman she is. If you’re looking for a gift for a special mom in your life, a personalized locket that encapsulates the beauty of motherhood might be perfect.
Jewelry That Celebrates Motherhood With The Right Words
The complete list of things we’ve managed to screw up may feel endless, but there are ways to share the beauty in the mess. Gifts for new moms that come from the heart are a reminder that we are honored, even in our imperfections. Fortune & Frame designed unique jewelry designed for the mother in you. Create honorable trinkets that she will treasure forever.
Give her a symbol of your heart with this lovely Heart & Arrow Bracelet. Store your own words inside and let them remind her of what she truly means.