The holiday season is an opportunity to share meaningful words with those we care about most.
Whether our Christmas cards are mailed out on fancy paper and sealed in an envelope or simply emailed to family and friends, the warm “Merry Christmas” wishes and “Happy New Year” hopes we share with loved ones are all the more meaningful when it’s personal.
What do you write on a Christmas card?
The personal Christmas wishes we send to each of our loved ones depends on who the card is addressed to. The season of giving is upon us—a time filled with joy, naturally we should spread it to our loved ones any way we can.
After all, it is the “most wonderful time of the year”.
But you wouldn’t send the same loving words you share with your mother and father to your boss, now would you?
I know it can be difficult to come up with a personalized Christmas message for every person in our lives. You don’t have to pour your heart out on this Christmas card. Sometimes a simple quote or sweet saying will help you get that Christmas card message started, while adding a touch of holiday cheer.
Read on for our full guide to writing Christmas card messages for every person in your life. Conveniently, these quotes can also be included in our fortune-holding jewelry if you so choose to accompany your card with a gift.
To Those Who Raised You…
From then to now...show your love to the ones who have cared for you since childhood.Whether it is your mom or dad, your favorite aunt or dearest grandparents, the people who watched you grow have always been there. You may have spent your earliest memories of the holiday season with them. Christmas likely brings back those long lost memories of years past and the childlike spirit of being spoiled by them with gifts and yummy treats.
Sharing quotes in your Christmas message to them will help them relive faint memories or even to make them chuckle, warming their spirits as the weather grows colder…
- “I’ll be home for Christmas, you can plan on me.” —Bing Crosby
- “Aren’t you glad I never pulled a Home Alone and went full Kevin McCallister?”
- “Thank you for making each holiday season sweeter than the last.”
- "When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things—not the great occasions—give off the greatest glow of happiness." —Bob Hope
- “Now it’s my turn to spoil you this Christmas.”
- “Holidays are joyful, there’s always something new. But every day’s a holiday when I’m near to you.” —The Carpenters
To Spread Sibling Love…
Rushing down the stairs on Christmas morning and making the biggest mess possible out of wrapping paper and cookie crumbs would not have been the same without your sibling(s). As another holiday season rolls around, my siblings and I love to reminisce on the memories we made together in our childhood home and our favorite gifts over the past years. It is not only a season to create new memories with loved ones, but a time to reflect on how lucky we are to have one another. Share this in the Christmas card message you address to them.
The holiday season would not be the same without my brothers and sisters, and this may be the same for you, too. Consider sharing these Christmas sayings in their cards, as you prepare to make new holiday memories together…
- “The holidays spent with you will always be my favorite holidays spent.”
- “Christmas is the keeping-place for memories of our innocence.” —Joan Mills
- “I’m not sure if it is this ‘holly-jolly’ feeling or all of the Christmas cookies, but something about the season makes me love you a little more.”
- “We are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.” —Laura Ingalls Wilder
- “I’ll never forget that one Christmas when…”
To Our Chosen Family…There are some people we meet throughout our lives that we just click with. Whether you have known them for as long as you can remember or the friendship is still new, the special relationships that we create throughout our lives are enhanced in the season of giving. Of course, it is not all about what we gift each other, but the meaning behind it and the special words we exchanged. Some of my favorite Christmas memories are of myself and my best friend growing up going ice skating in Rockefeller Center and drinking hot cocoa at the middle school Christmas dance. I wouldn’t trade those memories for the most expensive gifts in the world. We can share this feeling with them through the most powerful way we know: our words.
Creating holiday memories with my chosen family fills our hearts with joy, and telling the story will allow them to live forever.
Consider adding these quotes in the Christmas messages you write to your besties this year…
- “You have such a pretty face, you should be on a Christmas card.” —Elf
- “Knowing you is the greatest gift.”
- "The joy of brightening other lives becomes for us the magic of the holidays." —W.C. Jones
- “Thank you for being my plus one to all the holiday parties.”
- “Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand.” — Dr. Seuss
- “Hoping your holiday season is as sweet as you are.”
To The Nosiest Family Member…
We all have that one family member. The one who has a way of getting under your skin and needs to know everything about everyone. They’re always asking you about every part of your life and want each story in detail. Although this might put a damper on your holiday spirits, they only ask because they care. My best advice is to flip the conversation and ask them how they are doing. Maybe that is what they really need—to know someone cares.
Whatever words you share with them this season, make sure you add a little “I love you” at the end. Though you may be annoyed by them sometimes, they only want to make sure you are living your best life.
Adding one of these quotes in their Christmas card message is sure to put a smile on their face…
- “I don’t know what to say, but it's Christmas and we’re all in misery.” —National Lampoon's: Christmas Vacation
- “Gifts are nice, but family is all we truly need this season.”
- "A good conscience is a continual Christmas." —Benjamin Franklin
- “Remember this December, that love weighs more than gold.” —Josephine Dodge Daskam Bacon
- “He knows if you’ve been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake.” —J. Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie
To That Special Someone…
Celebrating the holiday season with the ones we love captures the true spirit of Christmas, but when you meet that special someone, it can make celebrating the holidays that much more exciting. Holly, mistletoe and kisses in the snowfall, December can be such a romantic time to spend with your love.
Sharing a few words of merry Christmas wishes from your favorite holiday love song or romantic comedy is the perfect way to capture the essence of the season. For ideas, try something like...
- “All I want for Christmas is you.” —Mariah Carey
- “Meet me under the mistletoe.”
- “If you say you love me too, it would be Christmas everyday.” —Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
- “We’re the cutest! Right up there with Rudolph and Clarice.”
- “At Christmas you tell the truth. To me, you are perfect.” —Love Actually
- “Are you a candy cane? Because you are so sweet.”
To The People You Spend Most Of Your Time With…
After some time, most of our coworkers become friends and, eventually, family. We share everything with one another. They may see you at some of your best and worst moments, but always know how to cheer you up. Working as a team, you become a united front who take on challenges and achieve goals together. But what do you write on a holiday card to your boss? Hopefully, they are no Ebenezer Scrooge, otherwise I would say to nix the Christmas wishes. Whether you are close with them or not, they provide you with your paycheck, so stick to something a bit more classic, yet casual. Of course, if you are close with your boss or coworkers, reminisce on a favorite memory, add a funny quote or make your Christmas card message more personal. Just remember you may have to see them in the office (or on Zoom) on Monday.
Consider adding these short and sweet quotes as a merry Christmas wish to your office family…
- “You deserve the merriest Christmas of all.”
- “To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.” —Calvin Coolidge
- “Christmas is awesome.” —Michael Scott, The Office
- “Although it's been said many times many ways, Merry Christmas to you.” —Nat King Cole
To The Person Who Is Always In The Christmas Spirit…
This was made for the one who has a heart of gold.All year round, they are merry and bright. Maybe they aren’t wearing a Santa hat and singing “Jingle Bells” 365 days a year, but they are constantly giving to others. Through acts of service and donations, this sweet soul is always putting others above themselves. They are the embodiment of the true meaning of Christmas and deserve recognition and appreciation for their kind acts. In their Christmas card, make sure to share your thanks for all they have done for you and let them know that they are a beautiful person inside and out. Love and appreciation is the greatest gift.
Sharing one of these Christmas messages is an ideal way to begin your letter of thanks…
- “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” —Elf
- “Thank you for always spreading the joy of the season.”
- “Just remember, the true spirit of Christmas lies within your heart.” —The Polar Express
- "May you never be too grown up to search the skies on Christmas Eve."
- "Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love." —Hamilton Wright Mabie
- “Peace on Earth will come to stay, when we live Christmas every day.” —Helen Steiner Rice
For The Relative You Haven’t Seen All Year…
The holidays mark a special time that usually brings families together. The people you celebrate this season with are likely those that you hold dearest to your heart. But you may have that one relative—maybe it's a second cousin or great aunt—who you don’t see all the time. They don’t know everything that has happened in your life over the past year, and you may not know how they have been, but as soon as you see them,you pick up right where you left off. Family is family, after all.
Sometimes, finding the right words to share with the relatives you rarely see is a difficult task, but you can express your thoughts with these simple and meaningful Christmas messages in their holiday card…
- “Christmas works like glue, it keeps us sticking together.” —Rosie Thomas
- “Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance—each beautiful, unique, and gone too soon.” —Deborah Whipp
- “It’s not about the quantity of time, but the quality of the time we spend together.”
- “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas.” —Peg Bracken
A Little Holiday Self-Love…
Don't forget to gift yourself, too.
Of course, this is the season of giving and you should be showing appreciation for the people who love us the hardest, but Christmas is the perfect opportunity to gift yourself as well. Maybe something small that you’ve been needing or something big to splurge on. Whatever it may be, you should reflect on the amazing things you have done over this past year and appreciate all that you have ahead of you. Whether you write a small quote that reminds you of something, inspires you, or is just a little something to make you smile, make sure that you read between the lines and embrace those words with your heart.
Consider holding onto one of these Christmas messages for a little extra holiday spirit…
- “The world is what you make it and it all starts with what you make of yourself.” —Fred Claus
- “Go ahead, eat the Christmas cookie. You deserve them all.”
- “Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to.” — Miracle on 34th Street
- “Let us not forget the true reason for the season.”
- "Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection." —Winston Churchill
- “Have yourself a merry little Christmas.” —Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane
Christmas Puns For Everyone…
Spread some Christmas cheer and put smiles on the faces of those you hold dear. Share these punny Christmas messages with anyone and everyone this holiday season…
- “Sleigh queen.”
- “There’s snow way you aren’t on the nice list.”
- “Have your elf a merry little Christmas.”
- “I fa la la la love you so.”
- “I’m pine-ing for you.”
- “Lighten up, it’s Christmas!”
- “I love you from head to mistletoe”
- “Dreaming of a white Christmas and a bubbly new year!”
Check out these posts if you are looking for more inspiration on finding thoughtful words to say…
- 37 Fortune Cookie Sayings About Love
- What to Write in a Thinking of You Card
- 30 Gratitude Quotes and Heartfelt Ways to Say "Thank You"
- 51 Self-Care Quotes and Tiny Reminders to Love Yourself
- Holiday Gifting Trends We Love for 2022
Or, if you're looking for the perfect gift for a special someone, shop jewelry gifts for the holidays.