So, you’ve picked out the perfect gift. You know it’s something she will absolutely adore and you’re beyond excited to give it to her. Along with that gift, whatever it may be, you head to the store to pick up a card. Cards are simple gestures of love that just let someone know you’re thinking of them. They give you the opportunity to share what you are really feeling and maybe even what this person means to you. You opt for something simple, just a happy anniversary card. But the inside is blank and now you’re wondering what to write in your anniversary card. You want to take this time and find the words that reflect on what this past year has meant to you.
Deciding on the words you want to share with your partner is no easy task, but as long as you speak from your heart you will always say the right thing.
Through laughs, tears, smiles, fights and adventures together, you can cover it all. You can pour your heart out into this beautiful love letter to them about everything they have done to make your life a little sweeter, but where should you start? Sometimes, the greatest people, the people you find are the most important to you, put you at a loss of words.
Starting with a saying or quote that encapsulates your whole year may just be the perfect way. I know what you’re thinking, what quote? Well, think about what you are going to talk about first and then try to find the words to share it.
A significant other should be someone you can always count on to make you laugh, make you feel special, and make you feel loved. They may be the one who is always there for you to pick you up when you fall and hold your hand to help you the rest of the way. Of course, you already know this.
Read on for our take on anniversary card sayings for that someone special in your life. These heartfelt notes can also double as messages to include in our fortune-holding jewelry if you’re looking to include a gift along with your card.
One word… Quarantine
I know that we all experienced 2020, but it is worth taking the time to talk about. Maybe, reflecting on last year a bit will spark an idea on what to write in your card.
In 2020, we have faced so many challenges, not only as a country, but as a human race. Together, we have endured pain and loss, suffering, sorrows and gloom. But in this darkness, we each have our own beacon of light, the hope that keeps us going each and every day. You may have faced this year together (or separately together), head-on. For any couple, this year was not normal. Everyone’s world flipped upside down and it seemed like life was moving at hyper-speed, while you stayed in slow motion. Through it all, maybe this person was your grounding force.
Now, let’s talk about what you can say.
There is a difference between what you can say to your significant other depending on the type of relationship you are in. If you are dating someone, the past year could have looked a lot different for you compared to a couple that is married.
Every couple has definitely faced their fair share of challenges recently, but with challenge comes an opportunity to strengthen your love.
What to write in an anniversary card: Dating Edition…
What 2021 may mean for you: Becoming a long-distance couple when the world shut down and realizing that even when you are apart, your love thrives or living together for the first time.
When the pandemic hit, the world shut down besides essential businesses and mostly everyone went into immediate quarantine. For a lot of couples who are dating, if you haven’t been together for too long, you most likely don’t live with each other. All of a sudden you went from seeing this person every day, living a close distance away from one another, to becoming a ‘long-distance couple’. If these challenges still kept your love strong, isolation may mean Netflix parties, Zoom dinner dates and a whole bunch of late night FaceTime calls. Although you probably couldn’t—or still can’t—see each other in person, your love may have continued to grow emotionally. Maybe you decided to quarantine with your significant other, which possibly led to a huge step in the development of your relationship. Quarantine was unexpected and may have been the push you needed to move your relationship to the next step. They say that “you never truly know someone until you begin living with them”, which may be true.
Whether you quarantined together or separately, the pandemic was a true test in your relationship. Tell them what this time means to you, what it made you realize about them and maybe what it made you realize about yourself. Maybe share some of the things you are excited to do with them as the world begins to open up again and what you hope the future will look like.
For better or for worse, in quarantine and in health. This is your time to reconnect.
What to write in an anniversary card: Marriage Edition…
What 2021 may mean for you: Becoming each other’s only form of human contact, strength and entertainment through months of isolation.
If you are married, you’ve probably been living with your spouse for a while. You know their silly morning rituals and interesting habits. You have been integrated into each other’s lives, but you haven’t become each other’s “all day, everyday” until now.
Each morning perhaps both of you would leave to get your day started, head off to work, to the gym, or to run errands. You may send each other the occasional text throughout the day and unwind together when you both were home again. But suddenly, your significant other became the only adult you would be in contact with for months when the lockdown became a reality. Weird to think about, right? For so many married couples, quarantine was filled with lots of movies, arts and crafts, hours of cooking or baking, board games, and so much more. Sure, maybe you had days where you couldn’t stand each other anymore and fought a lot. However, this time let you learn more about your partner, and perhaps strengthened your bond.
In your card, you can express the feelings you have for your spouse during quarantine. On the bright side, the pandemic gave us a chance to slow down, reconnect with each other, and focus on what’s truly important. Reflect on this.
Whatever message you decide to share with your significant other will be the right one, if it’s coming from your heart. Make it personal. Don't overthink about what the ‘right words’ to say are, just let your emotions flow. We know that finding the ‘perfect’ place to start can be a daunting task, but lucky for you, words are our specialty! We believe that communication is such a vulnerable display of affection. This is one of the reasons we should share our truest feelings with those we cherish most.
If you are having a difficult time beginning your anniversary message, take a few of these quotes into consideration and choose one that you think is most reflective of your relationship.
Here, find romantic quote ideas you can add to your anniversary card in 2021…
QUOTES FOR HER:
These romantic anniversary sayings will make her feel like the only girl in the world.
- “I want to love you and adore you for the rest of my days.”
- “Can I be the little spoon this year?”
- “You are the light that lets me see forward.”
- “Each and every day we have been together, I have watched you become more beautiful, in my eyes.”
- “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.”
- “You are the woman of my dreams.”
- “I cannot believe I got so lucky as to fall in love with a woman as incredible as you.”
- “The sun doesn’t even compare to the glow and warmth of your smile.”
- “A heart, as kind as yours, is delicate and fragile, I promise I will be gentle with it.”
- “Forever could never be long enough to love you.”
These classic quotes will always be in style.
These timeless sayings have never disappointed anyone in the past and they are all things a significant other would love to be told. Sure they are more simple greetings for an anniversary card, but it’s the perfect beginning for a letter to your love.
- “Happy Anniversary, my love.”
- “Thank you for the best year yet.”
- “You are my safe haven.”
- “I love you more and more each day, here’s why: _______ ”
- “Thank you for making me the happiest person on Earth.”
- “I am so lucky to be with someone as amazing as you.”
- “You are my ‘Happily Ever After’.”
- “My home is wherever I’m with you.”
THE ROMANTIC ROUTE:
Prepare for some serious sappiness and lovey-dovey quotes! Some of these are from movies, other books, poems and celebrities. A few of these quotes were inspired by my own experience and things that I have said to my boyfriend over the past few years (but I will let you borrow them this year!). You can never go wrong with setting the tone of a gushy love letter with an even gushier saying for your anniversary.
These are the most romantic quotes you can add to your anniversary card this year.
- “Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning.”— Paulo Coelho
- “Even after all this time, you still give me butterflies.”
- I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once”— John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr. Seuss
- “I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” — Paulo Coelho
- “With your love, I feel invincible.”
- “Whatever I did to make you love me, I am so happy I did it.”
- “Two people in love, alone, isolated from the world, that’s beautiful.” ― Milan Kundera
- “Don’t argue this: I love you more, I can prove it.”
- “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” ― Nicole Krauss
- “I am so grateful for the person I am, when I am with you.”
- “I love you forever, not maybe. You are my one true love.” — Lana del Rey
- “Forever is a long time, but I wouldn’t mind spending it by your side."
Make your significant other chuckle a bit this anniversary.
Nothing says “I love you” like making them laugh. Sometimes all you need to do is put a smile on their face, especially if you have been a master at this the past 364 days. Through thick and thin, the one thing your partner should be able to rely on you for is to cheer them up on their bad days and make their smile even brighter on their good ones.
Check out these funny anniversary quotes below, whatever one speaks to you be sure to add it to your card this year.
- “If we can make it through quarantine, we can make it through anything!”
- “Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me. Then I remember that I put up with you too, I guess we’re even.”
- “You are the only one I want to annoy for the rest of my life.”
- “We each deserve an award for dealing with each other for this long.”
- “My love for you is eternal – even when we get old and wrinkly. I promise!”
- “Time flies when you’re having fun and it moves even faster when you are in love.”
- “If you keep making my heart skip a beat like this, I’m going to have a heart attack by our next anniversary.”
- “A marriage anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance, and tenacity. The order varies for any given year.”
- “I can’t wait to grow old with you and play bingo all day in the nursing home.”
- “I think I may have developed some sort of attachment to you.”
- “Besides chocolate and puppies, you are my favorite thing :).”
QUOTES FOR HIM:
Make him feel special with these romantic sayings you can add to his anniversary card.
- “I’ve never felt safer than when I’m in your arms.”
- “Our love story is my favorite.”
- “Everything happened so fast, one day I was alone and in the dark and the next, you had brought more light to my life than the brightest of stars.”
- “I believe everything happens for a reason because it led me to you.”
- “Thank you for bringing out the best in me.”
- “I love you, even after quarantine.”
- “You are my sunshine when my days seem dark and gloomy.”
- “You stole my heart, and I cannot wait to steal your last name ... then, I think we are even.”
- “I am fortunate to have found you.”
- “We've traveled through many lifetimes together. We appear in different forms, yet always find each other.”
Prepare for your future by first reflecting on a pivotal moment from your past.
Share your favorite part of your long story with her and reminisce on what that moment meant to you. Maybe it was a time when they made you laugh harder than you ever have before, one of the most romantic dates you have had, a time when you overcame a challenge together, or even the moment you knew you were in love with them or a time you fell in love with them all over again.
No matter what this moment meant to you, count it as a milestone. Collectively, the past year hasn’t been our best year, but maybe for you two, it was one of your best. Ignore the news, shut off your phone, and take a minute to stop and think. Where were you guys a year ago? What has changed in your relationship since then? And how has this made you stronger together?
However you decide to express your love for your partner through the greeting in your anniversary card, just know that it is the right way. Be brave, be vulnerable, and tell them how you really feel. We know that some of you may be closed off or don’t particularly like to show off your emotional side, this is your opportunity to express that.
This is your significant other, your partner in crime, your best friend, you should be 100% yourself with them. They bring out the best in you—thank them for that.
To the first anniversary couples, the 20th anniversary couples, and all the couples celebrating anniversaries in between, happy anniversary!
Looking for more ideas on anniversary sayings? Check out…
- 41 Short Love Quotes for Your Anniversary
- 25th Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
- What Is a Paper Anniversary?
- How to Find a Thoughtful 50th Anniversary Gift
Ready to shop for the perfect anniversary jewelry gift?