Busy day in and day out, most of us have a million different things going on in our lives. As parents, students, or working women and men, we are often living in a constant state of thinking. Whether it be about picking up or dropping off the kids, studying for an upcoming exam, or that next meeting with a client, the train of thoughts keeps on moving. However, in the midst of all the chaos, many of us forget about an important person to take care of: ourselves.
The Importance of Self-Care Daily
When the pandemic started, the world we once knew took a pause no one saw coming. Our lives stopped at a screeching halt. As stay-at-home and shutdown orders were put into place, most of us realized the immense amount of time we would spend in isolation. It may have been—or still is—hard to relax, although we do have so much time to ourselves in the comfort of our own homes. The pandemic has brought difficult challenges, big and small. But we have to remember that we must take a step back from it all, at least for a second.
It is important now more than ever to begin taking care of yourself and reflect on what brings you peace of mind.
To Start Self-Care...
Well, luckily you don’t have to be a meditation expert or yoga-connoisseur to implement calming self-care tips into your daily life. Self-care daily means taking one moment out of your day to do something for yourself.
We all need a break sometimes, both mentally and physically. Overworking yourself will only result in an exhaustive burnout and loss of drive. Whether you exercise for thirty minutes each day, step away from your technology at night, spend time with friends and family, or just close your eyes for a few minutes a day, pushing that reset button will only make things better. But maybe you don’t have time for all of that. You probably have a bit of a busier schedule than most and need a quick dose of self care before you move onto the next task.
It is time to make daily self-care a necessity, not a luxury.
Whether you have ten minutes or ten seconds, we have collected some of our favorite examples of self-care that you can practice daily and the mantras you can wear to remind you that self-care is a priority.
Stop, close your eyes, and take a breath.
Overwhelmed and anxious, our adrenaline kicks into high gear. Our heart begins to race and breaths come short and fast. In high-pressure situations, our body becomes exhausted quicker and we lose the drive to continue a job. Sometimes the most important way to practice self-care is to take a minute to just breathe. You can start your day with a five-minute meditation, attend a yoga class at least once a week, or even just take a minute to yourself to clear your mind and focus on your breathing. Though we cannot avoid stressful situations forever, making time to just breathe will allow you to collect your thoughts and rejuvenate your soul.
Here are a few quotes to remind you that breathing deeply a few times a day is the best thing you can do for yourself…
- “Feelings come and go, like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Just breathe.”
- “That breath you just took, that’s a gift.” — Rob Bell
JUST ADD WATER…
Refreshing and rejuvenating, water is the best medicine the Earth has provided us with. Take a shower or a hot bath, splash cold water on your face, dip your feet into an ocean, pool or lake, or even pour yourself a glass. Listening to the soothing sound of running water triggers a response in our brains that releases a flood of neurochemicals. This increases blood flow to the brain and heart, which induces a calming effect. Whether it's through nature or your faucet, water is a tranquil element and is the perfect way to help wash your worries away; it will aid you in taking care of yourself. Remember: water will extinguish any fire.
These water-themed sayings are the perfect read to reflect on while you take your water break...
- “Sometimes you have to go with the flow”
- “Life is like the ocean, it goes up and down.” —Vanessa Paradis
- “You can’t draw water from an empty well.”
- “Let the waves carry you where the light can not.” —Mohit Kaushik
- “Cleanse your body, mind and soul.”
TAKE A HIKE…
Move forward in the right direction and take time to reconnect with yourself outside.
If you ever feel trapped or stuck, a breath of fresh air is a great way to clear your head. Most of us spend so much time using technology that we often miss the beauty of the world around us. Dedicate a moment to go for a walk or a jog, ride your bike, sit outside or even just stand for a few seconds and let the sunlight hit your face. This daily self-care tip allows you to step out of the confinement of four walls and will help you to come back with a fresh perspective and a new sense of peace.
Consider using these quotes as a reminder to step away from your work each day, even if it is just for a second.
- “Walking away is not a sign of surrender. Collect your thoughts and come back stronger.”
- “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than what he seeks.” — John Muir
- “Instead of taking a step forward, take one step back and admire all you have done.”
- “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.”
PUT ON A HAPPY FACE…
Each day brings a new adventure, but along with it comes challenges big and small. However, remind yourself that whatever you are going through will pass. Think about the problem first, will it matter in a week, month, or year? Most of the time, we stress about the minuscule details and neglect to look at the bigger picture. Take time to practice this daily self-care tip and do something that will make you smile if today was a bit harder than others. Do what brings you joy, whether it be listening to a song, watching a movie, having a cup of coffee or enjoying your favorite meal.
These are some of our favorite quotes to help you turn that frown upside down…
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you’ll start to see a big difference in your life.” —Yoko Ono
- “Laughter is the best medicine.”
- “There’s always a reason to smile—go out and find it.”
THINK GOOD THOUGHTS…
Are you working hard to be the best version of yourself everyday and feeling overwhelmed? If so, take a moment to reflect on all the things that you’re grateful for. Maybe it's your family, best friend, pet, your partner, or even just your favorite cafe in town. Dedicate time to journal and write down your hopes for the future, big and small. Every time you are upset, reminisce on the good times and be proud of where you are today.
We have collected a few quotes that will inspire you to lead your life with a grateful heart…
- “What you do does not matter as long as it makes you happy.”
- “Make more time for the things that matter.” — Anne Hathaway
- “Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.”
- “Happiness is not readymade. It comes from your own actions.” —Dalai Lama
SELF-CARE IS SELF-LOVE…
It is important to love yourself first, in order to feel the love of others. Self-care begins with self-love and accepting ourselves completely.
There’s an old quote that says, “You cannot be loved by others until you show love to yourself”. It can be so easy to critique or even compare ourselves to others, but taking care of yourself begins with self-love. Take time to recognize all of the beautiful things about you, inside and out. Another huge part of self-love is understanding our emotions and acknowledging that everything we feel is valid. Write a love letter to yourself that you can reflect on each time you need a moment to yourself.
Here are a few quotes to start off that wonderful love letter to you…
- “I will love the work in progress that is me.”
- “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” —Dr. Seuss
- “I will always be enough.”
- “Self-care is self-love.”
- “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” — Oscar Wilde
Daily self-care looks different for everyone.
It is the break you deserve each day, whether you take the whole day to yourself or just a few moments at a time. Self-care means giving your mind that mini vacation it needs to collect your thoughts and achieve your goals. Treat self-care as a necessity. It may not always be at the top of your busy to-do list but make sure to include it on your routine.
For more self-care quotes and fortune-holding jewelry, check out:
- 41 Short Love Quotes For Your Anniversary
- A Selection of Our Meaningful Jewelry
- 5 Ways to Get Out of a Negative Headspace
- 8 Small New Beginnings that Make a Big Difference