Birthday Gifts for Sisters and Tips to Make Her Day SpecialTips & Guides
I was five when my mom told me she was pregnant...with twins.
Of course, like most five year-old girls, I was hoping for two little sisters. I would have built-in playmates—sisters to play Barbies with and watch The Big Comfy Couch with (am I dating myself yet?). Well, I got two brothers. And to be honest, I wasn’t thrilled. In fact, when my brothers were born, my parents got me a ‘My Twinn’ doll that was made to look exactly like me, so I could have a twin sister. Yes, I have pictures, and no, you cannot see them.
That’s my long way of saying that I don’t have a biological sister. So, why am I writing a blog post suggesting what to get your sister for her birthday? Because I may not have a biological sister, but I have six friends who are like sisters that have been in my life since kindergarten.
When I think of having a sister, I think of having a woman in your life that no matter what you do or what happens in life, she will forever be there for you. And for me, that’s these six women. We’ve gone through every single chapter together—from our awkward years to college to moving into our first apartments. And this year, we’ll go through a new one—as bridesmaids in the first two weddings between the seven of us. I could go on and share stories, but I’ll spare you the memories of our 20+ year sisterhood.
As you read this thinking about your own sister, I’m sure there’s a million memories that come to mind. Maybe you’re thinking back to when she would steal every single clothing item you had, or when you weren’t allowed to go out with her friends because it wasn’t ‘cool’ to be the sister tagging along. Or maybe you’re thinking about those nights you would stay up bingeing movies and swapping secrets, or the recent brunch you had together where you may have had one too many mimosas.
Whatever comes to mind when you think of your sister is the key to her present this year. Your experiences and memories together can create the most unique birthday gifts for sister yet. We thought of a few birthday gift for sister ideas to make her day extra special this year, so you don’t have to:
1. Give Her The Little Reminder She Needs
You know everything there is to know about your sister—her hopes, her dreams, and the potential she has to reach those. And sometimes she might need a little reminder on her journey to get there. Maybe she’s looking to turn her side gig into a full-fledged career or she wants to make the move to a big city. Or perhaps she’s working towards a promotion or graduating college. Whatever her dreams are, as a sister you want to be there to support her every step of the way.
Gift her a reminder of her potential to reach her dreams—no matter how big they may be. Through long hours, late nights and those “why did I ever do this” moments, offer her a quick escape on her wrist to quickly bring her back to why she started. Our Mini Fortune Bracelets serve as little reminders to what’s meaningful and inspiring to you. With fortunes like “Dare BIG. Fear Small” and “Follow What Calls You” these engraved jewelry pieces will offer inspiration when your sister needs it most.
2. Get Sentimental
We’re all guilty, far too often, of not telling our loved ones how much they mean to us. We’re too busy, they already know, it’s awkward—why are we making excuses? Tell your sister how important she is to you with her birthday gift this year. And it doesn’t have to be a novel, it can be a few words on how much you appreciate her and why she’s so important in your life.
Write how you feel in card, order her a print with a sappy quote or may I suggest a locket from our capsule locket? The Capsule + Wand Locket opens and closes to reveal sacred thoughts that your sister can wear close to her heart. Pour your heart out and write a unique fortune she can hold in her locket, or if you can’t find the words, you can choose from sayings like:
- Everything I am, you helped me be.
- Just a reminder that you are appreciated.
- There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you.
- The greatest gifts our parents ever gave us was each other.
- “A sister is someone who loves you from the heart. Once she enters your life, she is there to stay.”—Bunny David Sunnapu
- “As you’re growing up and you’re close, you can’t trust anyone the way you trust your sister, but also they have the power to wound you in ways no one else really does.” —Ally Condie
You don’t have to say a lot to make it feel powerful—a few words go a long way.
3. Relive Your Favorite Memories
What’s the show you both watched growing up, or the one you always quote when you're together? Do you have a favorite sister memory or an inside joke that never gets old? Turn that into some inspiration for your gift.
Transform your favorite quote, memory or inside joke into a keepsake jewelry gift your sister will love. Our Fortune Frame can display these framed words on your sister’s desk, wall or fridge. While the words you insert in this case will depend completely on your relationship with your sister, here are a few quotes from TV shows and movies that might spark an idea:
- “Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” —Michael Scott (The Office)
- “We were on a break!” —Ross Geller (Friends)
- "Winter is coming." —Game of Thrones
- “Put some Windex on it.” —My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- “On Wednesdays, we wear pink.” —Mean Girls
- "These are not spirit fingers. These are spirit fingers. And these are gold.” —Bring It On
4. Make Fun of Her
The best part of having a sister? You can make as much fun of her as you want and she’ll still love you. Her birthday is just another excuse to poke some fun at her. This year, pair it with a gift she’ll love. It’s a win win—you get to make fun of her, and she’ll get something she’ll actually use. I’m not saying those gag gifts in previous years didn’t go to good use, but she’ll definitely appreciate a Fortune Cookie Locket a bit more.
Now, there’s a few ways to go about this. You can remind her of that embarrassing moment when she ripped her pants or tease her about her awkward middle school years. Or you can simply remind her that she’s never getting rid of you with fortune cookie messages like this:
- Sister: The best friend you can never get rid of.
- I smile because you’re my sister. I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it.
- You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a really high cliff I yell, “Do a flip!”
- Happy birthday to my big sister who will alway hit every decade before me!
- She’s not always sarcastic. Sometimes she sleeps.
- Happy birthday to a girl who has a pretty awesome sister!
5. Let Her Know You’re Always There for Her, Even When You’re Not *Actually* There
Maybe you’re in a long-distance sisterhood, or maybe you live close but don’t get to see each other as often as you want because, well, life. No matter the distance, your gift this year can make sure you’re always there for her, even when you can’t be physically.
With our Envelope Fortune Locket, your sister can keep your words of reassurance close to her for off days —and even for her on days. Of course, she knows you’re always a phone call away, but sometimes she doesn’t need a long conversation. A custom locket is a simple reminder that you’re there for her and she’ll get through it. Show her you care with fortunes like:
- Side by side or miles apart, sisters will always be connected by the heart.
- Sister, you got this.
- I might not be there with you. But I’m always there for you.
- Our paths might change as life goes along,but the bond between us remains very strong.
- I miss your face.
- “We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere.” —Tim McGraw
6. Tell Her What She Needs to Hear
Sometimes the only person your sister will listen to is you, because you’ll give her the hard truth. Now, I’m not saying the right gift is to finally let your sister know that bangs do not work for her or that she should part ways with her no-good-for-her significant other (even if they are the WORST)—but think about gifting her a reminder to make the right choice. And this can be applicable for every decision she makes in life and love.
Everyone needs a reminder every now and then that they are the drivers of their own life. Make even your sister’s toughest decisions a bit easier with a special message stowed away in our Sphere Secret Ring. She’ll have words to guide her, and a sister to always rely on to help her down the right path. Tuck away meaningful messages like:
- The move you’re afraid to make could be the one that changes everything.
- Ten years from now, make sure you can say that you chose your life, you didn’t settle for it.
- You’re always one decision away from a totally different life.
- Make decisions out of love, not fear.
- “What we fear most is usually what we most need to go.” —Tim Ferriss
- “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping it will transform into a door.” —Coco Chanel
7. Prepare Her for Her Next Chapter in Life
Is there a big change about to happen in your sister’s life or a new chapter she is about to embark on? Is she moving across the country or about to get married? Or maybe she’s turning the big 3-0 (check here for more 30th birthday gift ideas). Whatever these next steps are in her life, they’re never easy. Offer her the reassurance she needs that everything will be ok in just a few words, and that you’ll be here for her through every chapter—whatever that may be.
Our Book Necklaces and Book Bracelets can be a birthday present for sister as she prepares for her next adventure. These meaningful bracelets keep your messages close when your sister is doubting her way forward or needs a bit of comfort. Add in your own words for her to bring along on her next journey, or add in a message like:
- And so, the adventure begins.
- It’s time to write a new story.
- Trust the magic of new beginnings.
- Turn the page.
- Begin. Even if you have no idea how it will turn out.
- “There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” —C.S. Lewis
8. Give Her A Gift She’ll Never Take Off
We all have that piece of jewelry we never take off. It’s basically glued on us. Forgive me for this way-too-cheesy metaphor, but that piece of jewelry is just like sisterhood. Just like that staple item, sisters are there for every part of our lives. For her birthday this year, get your sister that piece of jewelry that will, like you, be part of her everyday.
Our Mini Fortune Cookie Pendant and Super Mini Fortune Cookie Pendant are two of those meaningful necklaces your sister will never want to take off. For the minimalist sister or the one that’s an accessory queen, it can be worn alone or serve as the foundation for a layered look. While you can’t be part of everything in her life (even though you might want to be), at least you know she’ll have a little reminder of you wherever she goes.
There is truly nothing better than a sister, which is why your birthday gift for her this year should be nothing short of special. Whether you choose to go the sentimental route, be very funny with your gift or pack some encouragement into it, it will be something she will cherish for the rest of her life. And everytime she wears it, she will think of you.
Make her day extra special by pairing the gift with something fun you two can do together. Go out to dinner, get your nails done or have a wine-night in (or, do all three). Not only will she have a piece of jewelry with meaning from you, but she’ll have another experience you both can look back on in the future.
And make sure to celebrate each other, even when it’s not her birthday. Having a woman in your life that you know will be there for you every step of the way, for better or for worse, is something to always celebrate.
Looking for more thoughtful gift ideas? Check out…
Leave a comment