You Know You’re Thirty When...
- Your Instagram feed consists of weddings, babies, new houses and marathon runners.
- The hangover from three vodka sodas the night before takes a whole day to get over.
- You’re excited—elated, really—to be asked for your ID
- There’s at least one baby at every party you go to.
- The shows you grew up watching are getting rebooted—and the kids are now the parents.
- You’ve left a bar because it was too loud, or have asked your neighbors to “keep it down.”
- You gravitate toward clothing and shoes that are more comfy than cute.
- You’re happy when your friend cancels plans because it means you can Netflix and chill.
While there’s a lot to joke about when it comes to putting your 20s behind you, there’s also a lot to be said about the years ahead of you and the transition into your 30s.
Your 30s is when everything you’ve been working toward in your 20s finally starts to come together. You shed a lot of the insecurities you dealt with in your 20s and effortlessly become more confident in yourself—your career decisions, your relationships, and your appearance. You focus less on pleasing others and more on putting your happiness first.
If you’re reading this, someone you know or love likely has a 30th birthday celebration coming up. This is perhaps the biggest birthday celebration since turning 21 (remember that one?). Whether she’s your best friend, significant other or a family member, you want memorable, meaningful and creative 30th birthday gifts for her.
A wine glass that fits a whole bottle of wine would be a memorable (and let’s be honest, very useful) gift, but you probably want to be a little bit more thoughtful since she’s not just entering a new year, but an entirely new decade. Before committing to a gift, take some time to think about her.
Ask yourself questions like: What kind of relationship do you have with her? What’s her personality like? Is she single, married, a mother? What are your hopes for her over this next decade? What are some things she’d like to accomplish in her 30s? Answering these questions will help you begin uncovering creative 30th birthday gift ideas for her.
We’re sharing some of the top ways our customers have personalized 30th birthday gifts for important women in their lives. Whether she's your bff, your life partner or someone you grew up with and know like a sister, what all of the following gift approaches have in common is that they start with the thoughtful words that will warm the birthday girl’s heart and be remembered for decades to come.
Let’s start uncovering some creative birthday gifts for her.
Make Her Laugh
Do you comment something stupid on all of those selfies she posts on Instagram? Yes, we all have that one friend. Do you communicate by mostly GIFs, memes and emojis? Do you constantly make fun of each other in the most endearing, yet slightly hurtful, way possible and are still the best of friends? You’re probably taking the funny route.
This is the time to show her you remember the little things about your relationship—especially the funny little things. Do you have a saying that you both use while talking or texting 24/7? Or is there a funny quote from that TV show you binged together? Gift her something that will make her laugh when she needs it most.
Need some inspiration? Here’s a start.
- “Happy Birthday! Thank you for always being older than me :)”
- “You’re not getting older. You’re becoming a classic.”
- “You know you’re old when the candles cost more than the cake.” – Bob Hope
- “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” —William Shakespeare
- “Happy birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without a Facebook reminder.”
- “The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune,” —English Proverb
- "You know you're getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It's like, 'See if you can blow this out.'" Jerry Seinfeld
- “Another year old and still sexy as hell.”
- “30 is one big joke ‘til it happens to you”
- “You know, you’re still 29 in Guam…” —Rachel from Friends
- “Wow. Do you realize in 10 years we're gonna be 40?” - Ross from Friends
Keep Her Looking Forward
She made some mistakes in her twenties—maybe a lot of tiny ones, a few life-changing ones, or a mix of both. Help her remember that those mistakes don’t define her today, but that they’ve made her stronger, helped her to learn a few lessons and shaped her into who she’ll be in her 30s.
Share with her a simple reminder that there’s something better ahead. Something that she can look to when she’s unsure or lost, and keep her going even in the toughest of times. Make sure she’s always looking forward, not back.
Here are some messages to get you started—and some jewelry so she can carry them with her.
- “There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” - C.S. Lewis
- “You’re never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” - C.S. Lewis
- “Do something today that your future self will thank you for.”
- “Look forward, not Behind. Your best days are still right in front of you”. - Adedayo Olabamiji
- “Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” - Albert Einstein
- “I’m looking forward to the future, and feeling grateful for the past.” —Mike Rowe
- “Move forward with purpose.” —Sherrilyn Kenyon
- “Inhale the future, exhale the past”
- “Breathe, darling. This is just a chapter, not your whole story.” —S. C. Louvie
- “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.” —Mark Twain
- "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." —Madeleine L'Engle
Be Her Biggest Cheerleader
What does she want for herself over this next decade? Maybe she wants to finally settle down and start a family, or wants to embark on a new career path with her passion leading the way. Or perhaps she’s just really looking to spend time focusing on her health, or wants to travel more.
Share your wishes for her 30s with her. Write them down so she knows that someone is always supporting her and cheering her on, even when it may not feel like it. Make sure she knows that you’re there to help her every step of the way to achieve her dreams and live her best life.
Here are a few messages that will help communicate that and gift you can deliver them in.
- “The past is your lesson, the present is your gift, and the future is your motivation.”
- “Believe in yourself and all that you are” - Christian D. Larson
- “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin.” - Tony Robbins
- “Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Take a deep breath and step on through. This is your new chapter”
- “Move forward with confidence and courage. You are a very special person. May today and all of your days be amazing!”
- “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
- “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm,” – Lincoln
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there” - Eleanor Roosevelt
- Don't just count your years, make your years count." —George Meredith
- “Just remember, once you're over the hill, you begin to pick up speed." —Charles Schulz
Commemorate this Moment
This birthday is a big milestone. Whether she’s celebrating with a big party or having a low-key night, she’ll want something to remember the day and all those that celebrated with her.
Gift her something that will forever remind her of the celebration. A keepsake that will help her proudly display her memories.
Here are some messages that will start conversations that will remind her of the day.
- “Life should not only be lived, it should be celebrated” —Osho
- “A birth-date is a reminder to celebrate life as well as to update life.” —Amit Kalantri
- “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.” – Plautus
- The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. - Oprah Winfrey
- “A little party never hurt nobody.”
- “A party without cake is just a meeting." —Julia Child
- “You’re never too old to dance your heart out.”
Help Her Unlock Her Most Authentic Self
She’ll become more confident in her 30s, learning to put herself first and not care what other people think. But it doesn’t happen at the stroke of midnight on her birthday—it takes time. She’ll probably need reminders from time to time that she does rock—just the way she is.
Inspire her to be her most authentic self everyday by sharing how you see her, with just a few words.
With the words you give her held close, she’ll begin to see herself the same way you do. These types of messages can be difficult to find, so here are a few thoughts to help you out.
- “Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you! – Dr. Seuss
- “Whatever you are, be a good one.” —Lincoln
- “Be fearlessly authentic and bravely you”
- "You were born an original. Don't die a copy." —John Mason
- “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” —Oscar Wilde
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” —Marilyn Monroe
- “A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” - Coco Chanel
- “When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everyone will respect you.” —Lao Tzu
The transition into 30 is a memorable one, so it’s only right to be thoughtful and creative in your 30th birthday gift for her. Inspire her, cheer her on and keep her looking forward to the decade ahead. It’s going to be a good one.
Looking for gift ideas for other special occasions?
- Our first-anniversary gift guide doesn't just tell your what she wants to receive; it knows what words she wants to hear.
- Mother's Day or mom's birthday? We got you. Here are the messages and gifts that melt every mom's heart.
- Our guide to gift-giving in a long distance relationship has tips to keeping the love alive and gifts ideas to show someone you care