Finding a Mother’s Day gift can be harder than it seems.
Although the holiday is often associated with material goods, the deeper meaning behind it is in the emotional value.
Mother’s Day is meant to celebrate all the moms and maternal figures in our lives who perhaps raised us, continues to guide us through life’s ups and downs, and cooks homemade meals for us during every visit.
If your mom is anything like mine, she always says she doesn’t need anything special for Mother’s Day. She would rather spend quality time with my older sister and me at home or go out for a nice dinner. We usually get together for a weekend in May to do something fun, but I always have to find her a thoughtful gift, too. How could I not—she’s my mom! And this leads to the dilemma: what to gift her?
Thinking about it, there’s one simple tip that can make any gift more personalized: choose a message to go along with it.
Whether it be a piece of jewelry that you can add a note to, a calligraphy-filled frame, or a customized pillow, adding words from your heart can make her feel all the more valued.
Read on for our favorite gift for mom ideas—including finds for every woman in your life including your sister, aunt, grandma, and friend.
MOTHER’S DAY GIFT FOR YOUR MOM
For many of us, no relationship compares to the one we have with our moms. After all, she’s the one who gave us life. Moms usually have a special way of knowing how to navigate even the hardest of times and give heartfelt, valuable advice along the way.
Moms are everyday superheroes that should be celebrated all the time, and Mother’s Day gifts are just another reminder of that. If your mom has been by your side through all of your life’s chapters, our Book Bracelet may be a fit.
On the outside, the design looks like a mini version of vintage storybooks that maybe your mom read to you as a kid. On the inside, it holds a message which you can customize.
You can choose words that you’ve written yourself, a quote that resonates, or a piece of advice she’s shared with you to show her how meaningful it is to you.
There’s also plenty of other jewelry with meaning designs to choose from.
Need ideas for your message? Try…
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” —Unknown
“Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.” —Unknown
“We are born of love; love is our mother.” —Rumi
“Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.” —Unknown
“To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
- “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.” —Amy Tan
MOTHER’S DAY GIFT FOR YOUR SISTER
Maybe you have an older sister who always acted like your second mom while you were growing up. She made sure you ate your veggies and came home at curfew, and would also let you borrow her favorite sweater and brush your hair. You would have fights and then make up, because that’s what sisters do.
Mother’s Day may be even more special if your sister is a mom herself. I remember when my sister first became a mom to my nephew (who is now 10 years old already—time flies!), and it’s beautiful to see her evolve in her role.
To celebrate your sister on this special day, give her something that reminds her of your bond every day. Being a mom can be hard, and she’ll likely appreciate seeing something cheerful, like a calligraphy-filled frame.
You can add a greeting, quote, or anything you want, in this Custom Frame from Etsy. It has a script font and you can choose between a black, white, or oak frame to match her decor style.
Looking for the right words? Go with one of these...
- “Here’s to being sisters and mothers—what could be better?”
- “Sister is our first friend and second mother.” —Sunny Gupta
- “Happy Mother’s Day to the world’s best mom (next to our own mom, of course).”
- “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” —Marion C. Garretty
- “Happy Mother’s Day to one of the most amazing moms I know—my sister!"
- “Unconditional love; the definition of a sister.” —Alicia Cook
MOTHER’S DAY GIFT FOR YOUR COUSIN
For some reason, cousins don’t seem to get as much of a spotlight as other family members like sisters and aunts. But they should, and even more so on Mother’s Day if they are mothers as well!
Maybe you always looked forward to family gatherings while growing up just because it was a chance to see your cousin. Everyone’s relationships are different—perhaps your cousin was more of a maternal figure in your life. Whatever the case may be, a celebration is welcome.
Our Letter Necklace instantly makes a piece of jewelry more personalized. Choosing the first initial of their name (or nickname) can let them know you were thinking about them while selecting this gift.
Look closely and you’ll find a subtle Mother of Pearl enamel detailing along the side, while the back is engraved with our signature wave design. It can also be worn as a choker or everyday pendant.
To add an even more personal touch, send your cousin a heartfelt card along with the necklace with a quote such as…
- “Cousin to cousin we’ll always be, special friends from the same family tree.”
- “God made us cousins because He knew our mothers could not handle us as siblings.”
- “Family is anyone who loves you unconditionally."
- “Cousins are connected heart to heart, distance and time can’t break them apart.”
- “Family gives you the roots to stand tall and strong.”
- “Our family is a circle of strength and love."
MOTHER’S DAY GIFT FOR YOUR GRANDMA
Maybe your grandma already has a ton of trinkets and keepsakes sprinkled around her house, and you’re looking for a mother’s day gift for her that’s different.
Again, the key is to make it personal.
You can’t go wrong with any gift that comes from your heart. For example, if she loves gardening, maybe gift her one of our personalized lockets like our Flowered Vines Fortune Locket. It has an intricate flower design that opens up to reveal a message.
And, like all of our jewelry pieces, it comes with a storybook gift box and an extra fortune in a mini envelope inside. Need inspiration on a note to include? Here are a few of our favorite quotes for grandma…
- “A garden of love grows in a grandma’s heart."
- “Grandma’s heart is a patchwork of love.”
- “Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting.”
- “There’s no place like home except Grandma’s.”
- “Grandmother: a wonderful mother with lots of practice.”
- “A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.”
MOTHER’S DAY GIFT FOR YOUR AUNT
When I was growing up, my aunt was the one who taught me how to sew. She would make clothes for my dolls, and those memories came back when I visited her last summer and saw a sewing machine on her dining room table.
It was the beginning of the pandemic, and there weren't as many cute mask options at the time so she created her own versions for me using the floral fabric from her extra pillowcases.
It was just another example of how she’s always been another mom figure in my life. If your aunt is someone close to you, express your appreciation for her with a meaningful gift.
This Mother’s Day pillow from Etsy has a floral print that reminds me of my aunt. There are plenty of options to choose from on the site that ranges in colors, patterns, and words. For more ideas on what to express to your aunt, try something like…
- “Aunt: like a mom, only cooler and more fun.”
- “My aunt has ears that listen, arms that hug and hold, a love that’s never-ending, and a heart that’s made of gold.”
- “An aunt makes life a little sweeter.”
- “Only an aunt can give hugs like a mother, keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend.”
- “For my aunt, with love on Mother’s Day.”
- “Aunt—a double blessing. You love like a parent and act like a friend."
MOTHER’S DAY GIFT FOR YOUR FRIEND
Celebrating her with a Mother’s Day gift can be a sweet gesture to show her how proud you are of her role as a caretaker and friend.
Among the list of gift for mom ideas is this Clare V. for Anthropologie Monogram Journal. Like our Letter Necklace, choose the first letter of your friend’s name (or nickname) and take it a step further by handwriting a little note inside.
For a few ideas, go with…
“My friend: I see the good mom you are.”
Happy Mother’s Day to an amazing mom and an amazing friend!
“There are friends, there is family, and then there are friends that become family."
“Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you.” —Misty Copeland
“Friends are the sunshine of life.”
- "Happy Mother’s Day to my bestie, who also happens to be an amazing mom.”
For more creative ways to say, “I love you” to your mom, read our fortune cookie messages that could work with any of the above gifts.
Looking for more Mother’s Day inspiration? Check out...