New Year’s Day is synonymous with new beginnings.
A fresh start.
A blank page.
With 2020 behind us, it’s time to start anew in 2021. But just because the clock strikes twelve on January 1st doesn’t mean things will magically just change for the better—if only it were that easy, right?!
There’s so much talk about “resolutions” at the start of each year, which can be motivating but often leads to pressure and burnout by February or so. Something that I’ve been focusing on lately is setting realistic goals instead of resolutions so that it’s not a firm statement of whether I will or will not do something. For example, I’m aiming to live with more intention this year, so my goal to get there is to write in a gratitude journal daily.
New beginnings can be an exciting part of life and a chance to grow. The first step is acknowledging that you’re looking to make a change, followed by action and consistency. A new year doesn’t necessarily need to mean a whole new you but it can lead to a better version of yourself if that’s what you’re looking to achieve.
To help send positive vibes for the new year, we’ve put together our favorite quotes about new beginnings categorized by life events like a new job, new home, new love, and new mindset. Use ‘em how you want—re-write it on a Post-It and stick it on your mirror, scribble it in your notebook, or wear it in one of our fortune-holding jewelry pieces including meaningful necklaces below.
Quotes for a New Job
Whether you just graduated from college and it’s your first job in the real world or you just earned a promotion for a dream position, a new job is kind of a big deal. Think about how many hours you spend at work every day—over a lifetime, that’s a lot of clocked-in hours.
Almost every new beginning comes from an end. If you just switched careers, it may have been a risk to start from the ground up in a new field. Or maybe you’re in a transitional period brainstorming which new path to travel down. Whatever the case may be, beginnings quotes on the topic of work can serve as encouragement reminders to keep going towards your goals. Reflect on your greatest work achievements and think about what makes you feel the most alive? Lean into that and perhaps your passion can lead to a career if it isn’t already.
Need some inspiration to give yourself a pep talk? Try…
- “A new job is like a blank book and you are the author.”
- “The expert in anything was once a beginner.” —Helen Hayes
- “Don’t watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going.” —Sam Levenson
- “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.”—Henry David Thoreau
- “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” —Milton Berle
- "A new job is not a new beginning. It is a path to create a new ending."
- “The future depends on what you do today.” —Mahatma Gandhi
- "It is never too late to be what you might have been." —George Eliot
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” —Abraham Lincoln
Quotes for a New Home
Did you recently move? Relocating—no matter if it’s to the apartment across the street or another country—is a significant life moment. Your home is where you should feel the most comfortable and a place to create memories, whether it’s family dinners around the kitchen table or reading by the fireplace on a cozy night in.
The first few days of living in a new space may feel unfamiliar but we have next chapter quotes to hopefully inspire you to embrace this time of newness.
Keep these quotes in mind as you unpack…
- “Home is the starting place of love, hope and dreams.”
- “There’s no place like home.”
- “Home is the tranquility we return to when the world turns into confusion.”
- “New home, new adventures.”
- “This home is full of love.”
- “Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.” —Robert Montgomery
- “Home is the heart’s nesting place.”
- “Love builds a happy home.”
- “Home wasn’t built in a day.” —Jane Sherwood Ace
Quotes for a New Love
Maybe you’re seeing someone new and are still feeling the joy of all the firsts: your first dates, first time holding hands, and first kiss. Or maybe you’re just moving on from a breakup and are newly single.
Love can mean so many things.
You can feel love towards a significant other, your family, friends, pets, even a place or material items...the list goes on. Perhaps the most important kind is the love that you give yourself. Like the idea of self-care, if you love yourself first, you can be in a healthy mental state to love another.
Read on for a few new beginnings quotes on love...
- “Relationship status: committed to inner peace, growth, self-love, and gratitude.”
- “To fall in love with yourself is the first secret to happiness.” —Robert Morley
- “Thank you for reminding me what butterflies feel like.”
- “So many of my smiles begin with you.”
- “You will always gain by giving love.” —Reese Witherspoon
- “Between old friends, sometimes the best love was the one that was always there.”
- “It was the way you laughed, I knew I wanted that in my life.” —R.M. Drake
- “I am not telling you it is going to be easy. I am telling you it is going to be worth it.”
- “Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”—Dalai Lama
- “Nothing in the world can stop you from letting go and starting over.” —Guy Finley
Quotes for a New Mindset
2021 can be anything you want it to be, and it starts with your mindset. Of course, there are things in life that are beyond control, but for the most part, the way you think determines your mood. Living with a growth mindset means seeing failures as lessons as opposed to setbacks. There’s no such thing as perfection, which would be pretty boring anyway. Mistakes are bound to happen, and it’s all in the way we choose to handle them.
Positive thinking is not only beneficial to your mental health and happiness but if you’re exuding upbeat energy, that can lead to a domino effect on everyone you interact with. Smiles, really, can make the world a better place—and it all goes back to your mindset.
The key is to believe in yourself and really mean it. For some words of encouragement, these fresh start quotes will do the trick…
- “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” —E.E. Cummings
- “You don’t need a new day to start over. You only need a new mindset.”
- “Make today ridiculously amazing.”
- “Life is only as good as your mindset.”
- “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” —Karen Lamb
- “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.” —B.Olatunji
- “Happiness depends on your mindset and attitude.” —Roy T. Bennett
- “Once your mindset changes, everything on the outside will change along with it.” —Steve Maraboli
- “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” —Wayne Dyer
- “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” —Albert Einstein
The beauty of change is that it can be exciting, although sometimes it’s scary delving into the unknown. We hope these quotes shed some light and help serve as a positive reminder for every new event in your life. With that, happy new year, and here’s to the start of 2021.
Interested in more encouraging quotes? Read on for…
- Zodiac Sign Quotes for Each Element
- 30 Gratitude Quotes and Heartfelt Ways to Say “Thank You”
- 10 Meaningful Song Lyrics About Life That I Play On Repeat
- Manifestation Quotes