5 Ways to Show Mom You Appreciate HerTips & Guides
Where would we be without our moms? They raised us, cooked for us, and took care of us when we were sick. On top of all this, they always go out of their way to make us feel special. Whether you come from a family of six kids or you’re an only child, your mom has done everything to celebrate you. She has made sure that you've seen your worth and how special you are. But now it’s time to make sure that our moms feel special. Because chances are, there is no mom as good as yours.
Pictured Deco Heart Signet Ring and Sphere Secret Ring
Ways to Make Mom Feel Special
As we get older, we start to get further from our mom. Our relationship stays the same, but we go to college, move out, and sometimes we’re a long plane ride away. As exciting as it can be, we’re often away from the person who loves us. As you’re keeping busy, exploring new cities, and making new friends, your mom is back at home cheering you on. She’s happy that you're happy, but on her side, there are a lot of emotions. She misses you and the time that you two used to spend together. And although she knows nothing will break your bond, she sees that you no longer need her as much as you once did. No matter how far away you are from your mom, it is important to make sure she understands how special she is. Wondering how you can do so? Here are some of my favorite ways to make my mom feel special.
Write A Handwritten Letter
There’s something about handwritten letters – both writing and receiving them. When I write a letter, I find myself pouring out my heart. It feels so genuine and emotional that I can’t help but say what I'm feeling. And there’s no better feeling than being on the receiving end of one. Think of the excitement you feel as you pull out an unexpected letter from the mailbox. In a digital age, there is nothing better than a physical letter in your real mailbox, not your email or text inbox. Now picture how much it would mean to your mom. Ripping open the envelope and seeing a note from you, in your handwriting. You can even include a few photographs of what you’ve been up to or what your apartment currently looks like. Make your mom feel like she’s there with you and show her that you still want her as a part of your life.
In the letter, you can include all kinds of things, it doesn’t need to only be about one topic. Tell her about the dinner you're currently cooking or the restaurant you need to take her to. Ask her if she’s done anything recently or how she’s doing. Even if you talk on the phone or text every day, seeing that you took the time to write to her will mean a lot. You can even end the letter promising to call her later. It's the fact that you took the time to write her a letter that'll make her day.
Pictured Deco Heart Signet Ring and Sphere Secret Ring
Create A Mixtape
Do you and your mom always listen to music together? For my mom and I, music was a huge part of what made us so close. Whether we were on road trips or running errands, we would listen to music. If music is part of the relationship between you and your mom, make her a mixtape! It’s so easy to compile the songs on a Spotify playlist, or by going old school and burning the songs onto a CD. With that, you can create a playlist cover or decorate the CD.
Creating a mixtape is the gift that keeps on giving. Not only will it shock your mom to receive it, but anytime she needs a reminder of how special she is to you she can play it. That's why it is important to fill the mixtape with meaningful songs. Any songs that the two of you have a connection to will work. When picking songs, make sure to include happy, upbeat choices. This will make the listening experience that much more special for her. You can also add songs that you think she might like. She will appreciate that you were thinking of her while listening to the song.
Special Words and Quotes to Make Mom Feel Special
When I left for college, I started a tradition with my mom, which I still make sure to do today. I knew the day was going to be hard on her, especially because I was her first daughter going off to college. She was doing so much to help prepare me and ease my anxiety, that I wanted to make sure to do something special for her. I made sure that it was a surprise for my mom and did something that she wouldn’t have expected. I wrote on a post-it note and left it on her computer so that when she returned from moving me in, there would be a note from me. It was something nice to remind her how much she meant to me. This continued as I would come home from weekends and college breaks. Before I would head back to school, I would write something on the post-it note. Sometimes it would be inspirational quotes, other times it would-be song lyrics or simple “I love you’s.”
A nice thing to do for your mom is to leave special words of appreciation, reminding her how important she is. Whether you write it in a handwritten letter, in a text, or on a post-note, it’s an easy way to show love. Here are thirty of my favorite mother quotes that I used to inspire my post-it notes:
- "The love I have for my mom does not waver. It is bold and strong, just like her!"
- "A mother's love does not set with the sun. It blankets you all through the night."
- "Great moms like you inspire their children to do, see, and be more."
- "A mother can hug you just with her smile."
- “Life doesn’t come with a manual, It comes with a mother.”
- “Kids don’t need a perfect mom, they need a happy one.”
- “I’m a strong woman because a strong woman raised me.” – Unknown
- “If I had a single flower for every time I think of you, I could walk forever in my garden.” – Claudia Ghandi
- “If I know what love is, it’s because of you.” – Hermann Hesse
- “Home is where your mom is.” – Unknown
- “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.”—Susan Gale
- "Wishes are granted in a mother's heart.”
- "With my mother behind me, I can do anything. She gives me strength."
- "Each time I hear your voice, I feel loved. You are the best!"
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.”
- “A mother and daughter’s love is never separated.” – Viola Shipman
- “There are no goodbyes, wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- "To a child's ear, "mother" is magic in any language." – Arlene Benedict
- "The older I grow, the more I realize that my mother is the best "best friend" that I ever had." – Unknown
- "A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's." – Princess Diana
- “A mother’s love liberates.” – Maya Angelou
- “Of all the gifts that life has to offer, a loving mother is the greatest of them all.”
- “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” –Marion C. Garretty
- "A daughter may outgrow your lap, but will never outgrow your heart." – Unknown
- "You’re the mom everyone wishes they had." – Unknown
- "When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know." – Charley Benetto
- "A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take." —Cardinal Mermillod
- “A mother’s love is more beautiful than any fresh flower.” ‒ Debasish Mridha
- “No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love.” ‒ Edwin Chapin
- “I love my mother as trees love water and sunshine. She helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights.” ‒ Terry Guillemets
How do I show my mom I love her?
The easiest way to show your mom that you love her is actually quite simple. Just tell her. Growing up, for some reason people make us think it’s “cool” to not be close to our moms. We are often deterred from saying “I love you” or showing signs of affection in public, and I’ll let you in on a little secret. Our mother’s always acted like they were okay with this because they wanted the best for us. But it did hurt them, even just a little bit. The best way to show your mom that you love her is to say “I love you” and/or show affection - depending on her love language.
There’s a misconception that love languages are only for couples. But the truth is that everyone has a love language and you can use it in any type of relationship. The five types of love languages are words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. Here are some ideas on how to make use of each love language for your mom.
Words of Affirmation
- Morning texts telling her how important she is to you or how much you miss her Phone calls
- Meaningful cards and letters
- Meet for coffee and chat
- Watching a TV show together
- Going shopping
- Girl’s trip
- Make a scrapbook of your favorite memories
- Sending flowers
- Gifting a meaningful piece of jewelry
- Picking up something that reminds you of her
- Send a gift card to her favorite restaurant
Acts of Service
- Going grocery shopping every so often
- Making breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Filling up her gas tank when it’s running low
- Do the laundry for the day
Physical Touch Hugs
- Paint your mom’s nails for her
- Hold her hand
- Give her a new hairstyle
What can I surprise my mom with?
You can surprise your mom with anything. Surprises don’t have to be huge parties with confetti, noise makers, and balloons. The definition of surprise is “The feeling caused by something unexpected or unusual.” You can make anything a surprise, especially if it isn’t something that you would normally do for your mom. What’s considered a surprise will depend on your relationship with your mom, but this leaves you with a lot of different activities and gifts. Here are some what-to-do and what-not-to-dos when it comes to surprises.
- Something new
- Make sure that it is thoughtful
- Give as little away as possible
- Cater to your mom’s wants and needs
- Do something that you usually do
- Not tell her you plan on doing something together (you don’t want her to not be available!)
- Worry about everything going perfect
- Do something extravagant over something that your mom would enjoy
What is the nicest thing you can say to your mom?
This is a hard one because it is such a personal sentiment. Although, it is easy since there are so many of the “nicest things” that you can say to your mom. My advice to you is to make whatever you’re saying as personal as possible.
Some of the nicest things to say are “I love you,” “I care about you,” “You mean so much to me,” and “I cherish our relationship." But, you can say any kind words that you want. You want to make sure that you are honing in on your own personal relationship. Show her how important your relationship is and how special she is to you.
Mothers make the world go round. Without them, we wouldn’t be here – literally! Our moms have seen all our ups and downs and still provide us with support and love. They love us no matter our mistakes and that isn’t something that we should take for granted. It’s important that we take that extra time to make our mom feel special because after all, she deserves it.
For similar articles, read:
Allie Berloco is a writer for Fortune & Frame. She graduated from Marist University with a double major in Media Studies, TV & Film Production and Communications, Journalism. She's sown here in her official Harry Styles fangirl outfit after seeing him perform live on the Today Show in NYC.
Leave a comment