Whether you have a ton of friends or a really tight circle, knowing what to say to express your appreciation, love or plain old happiness that they're in your life doesn't always come naturally.
Not all best friends are created equally, and the thoughts we want to express to them aren't one-size-fits-all either. So, we've compiled a list of our 25 favorite friendship and best friend quotes to get you started.
Loving Friendship Quotes
True love doesn’t need to be in the form of a significant other. Sometimes your other half is your best friend that has stuck with you through thick and thin. This friend just gets you and they don’t care about your flaws or downfalls. She shows you genuine love and support all the time and never expects anything in return.
Now, maybe you’ve just moved away from your long-term bestie or quarantine has you two spending less time together, but it doesn’t matter. You’re still able to pick up right where you left off and it’s like there is no distance between you. And when you are together, it doesn’t even matter what you’re doing. You’re just happy to be in the presence of each other, laughing over the silliest of things.
Show your gal pal some love with these quotes:
- “True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never by heart.”
- “Friendship is the purest love.”
- “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.”
- “That’s when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you—the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you—because that is what people are supposed to do.” —R.J.L.
- “Friendship is one mind in two bodies.”
New Friend Quotes
New people walk into our lives all the time. Sometimes, the best ones come when we least expect it. Maybe it turns out to be your college roommate you got randomly paired with or your new coworker. Does it seem like you’ve known your bestie for years even though you just met?
Just because you recently became friends doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate your friendship. There’s a beginning stage to every lifelong friendship, right? This is an opportunity to make new memories and experience new things. New friends are just as important as old friends and deserve to be appreciated also.
Solidify your bond with one of these quotes.
- “The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul.” —Shanna Rodriguez
- “A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.” —Maya Angelou
- “Some souls just understand each other upon meeting.” —N.R. Hart
- “Friendship isn’t about whom you have known the longest… it’s about who came, and never left your side.” —Mikaela Tiu
- “Every new friend is a new adventure… the start of more memories.” —Patrick Lindsay
- “There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met.” —Jim Henson
Inspirational Female Friendship Quotes
Where would we be without our besties?
They encourage us to keep going when we need motivation, pick us up when we fall down, and celebrate our achievements. Our friends are our biggest inspirations and it’s important to not let that slip by. Without inspiration where would we be? No matter how determined we are by ourselves, our best friend having our back and cheering us on is a necessity.
Was your friend the person who was motivating you while you wrote your 12-paged final paper? Did they help you prepare for your dream job interview? Did they bring you over ice cream after a rough breakup?
Maybe some of these quotes resonate...
- “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.” —Woodrow Wilson
- "A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have."
- “A friend who understands your tears is much more valuable than a lot of friends who only know your smile.” —Sushan R. Sharma
- “One friend in a storm is worth more than a thousand friends in sunshine.” —Matshona Dhliwayo
- “Friendship at first sight, like love at first sight, is said to be the only truth.” —Herman Melville
Loyal Female Friendship Quotes
We all have our bad days. Sometimes we get not the best news and other days we just wake up on the wrong side of the bed. While the rest of the world is running from us, our best friend is the one who stays by our side despite our tears or lashing out. They’ve been with us through the good, the bad, and the ugly and they still choose to stay.
Loyalty is one of the most important traits when it comes to friendship. When your best friend is loyal, you know it’s the real deal. You don’t have to play pretend around them, you can let your real self out and not have to fear any judgement from them. You also know that if anyone tries to take you down, they’ve got your back. They will stick up for you in a heartbeat and protect you to the best of their ability.
Need a way to express how thankful you are for your loyal BFF but not sure how to put it into words? Check out these quotes:
- “A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad.” —Arnold Glasow
- “True friends aren’t the ones who make your problems disappear. They are the ones who won’t disappear when you’re facing problems.” —Shubam Shaw
- “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” —Walter Winchell
- "One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives." —Euripides
Cute Friendship Quotes
There is nothing cuter than friendship goals. How many times have you scrolled through social media and saw a post about something fun you wanted to do with your bestie and immediately sent it to them with a message reading, “Goals”? If we’re being honest here, I’ve done that more times than I can count. Sometimes it’s just something as simple driving around to coffee shops and trying funny drinks. Other times, it’s planning a road trip last minute and heading to a favorite city.
Sometimes we just need to celebrate the “cuteness” of our friendships and there's no better way to do that than by giving them a gift—something that commemorates friendship and screams out “I appreciate you!” means the most.
If you need some ideas for lighthearted female friendship quotes to inspire you, look no further than here:
- "In the cookie of life, friends are chocolate chips." —Salman Rushdie
- “It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.” —Marlene Dietrich
- “Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all the world.” —John Evelyn
- "There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." —Linda Grayson
- "Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends." —Virginia Woolf
Looking for more posts on friendships? Check out…
Looking for a gift for your friend? Friendship bracelets are always a good way to show your BFF you're thinking about her (and not a bad excuse to get yourself something too while you're at it!). Check out what we like to call our "adult friendship bracelets" in this post and at the link above.