A friend of mine recently went through a stressful breakdown. The issue didn’t stem from one incident, but rather, it was a series of changed plans that made even a spontaneous soul like hers crave some stability. She was preparing for her kids to go back to school, but since “distance learning” had become a thing, she was worried about the overall quality of their education. On top of that, her work was getting busier and more complex—it was like playing a game of balance between being a mom and a business owner, in addition to adjusting to the work-from-home life herself.
This made me wonder...what do you do, exactly, when your girlfriend, best friend, sister, mom, aunt, or grandma, is not feeling her best? It depends on the situation, but reaching out and letting her know you’re there is a good start. I once read that asking someone how or if you can help them is the wrong approach. They always say no. You just have to do it.
Sometimes just doing it is a matter of making her a meal or showing up at her door and offering to be a safe (and non-judgmental) sounding board. Other times, it’s doing something small to let her know you’re thinking about her, like giving a gift with an inspirational message. All of these things can help cheer her up and bring some comfort in the chaos.
The “turning corners” design of the locket resembles new beginnings and good decisions unfolding.
If you don’t have the luxury of going to see her in person, consider getting what we like to call the “cheer up” gift for her.
The first step to finding the perfect cheer up gift is considering why she’s upset. Is she going through a breakup, having family troubles, or simply stressed? The second step is figuring out what she needs to hear.
Keep this in mind as you read on for our guide on how to find a thoughtful present with inspirational messages that may help her get into a positive mindset. Each section is divided into suggested tips you can take to spread good energy and hopefully make her smile.
So, without further ado…
Take Her on a Trip Down Memory Lane
A little pep talk can go a long way. Remind your friend or loved one of her best qualities and make it personal with details of difficult experiences you’ve seen her overcome before.
- Depending on the situation, one of my favorite things to do is remind friends or family of the advice that they’ve given to me when I was down. Not only does it often resonate with them (since it was their thought in the first place!), it reminds them of times when they were stronger.
- “Remember when…” stories can shine a light on those better times and pull her out of her current mindset, even if just for a moment, The key is to remind her of who she is, outside of what she’s going through.
The locket can also be a statement piece for an evening out...after you’ve cheered her up. Best of all? When the hard time passes, she can change the message to reflect the next chapter in her life.
If you’re looking for inspirational messages to put inside her cheer up gift, try…
- “Be humble and proud of yourself at the same time.”
- “Look for proof that you’re amazing.”
- “A hundred hearts would be too few to carry all my love for you.” – Henry Wadsworth
- “Focus on the magic of things; yourself.”
- “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” —Coco Chanel
Or write a personal message that reflects the way you see her.
Be There For Her in Whatever Form She Needs
Since every hardship is different, she might appreciate a shoulder to cry on or prefer to be alone for a while. If she’s open to talking or hanging out, distract her with an activity you can do together.
A few ideas to try together:
- Make a home-cooked meal
- Bake cookies (because who doesn’t love cookies?)
- Volunteer for a worthy cause
- Visit a museum
- Work on a creative project
- Take her somewhere new
Sometimes, the best thing for the soul during a challenging moment is to just step away from the situation and surround yourself with good company.
Inspirational messages about companionship may be an ideal complement for our Capsule + Wand Bracelet, which comes in our signature storybook-inspired gift box.
Even if you’re in a long-distance relationship, you can let her know you’re there for her emotionally by giving her a call, sending a sweet text, or mailing her a gift to cheer her up.
Since you can personalize the message inside before giving it to her, this is the perfect opportunity to say exactly what she needs to hear with a meaningful message.
A few ideas on what to say from some great minds…
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” —Audrey Hepburn
- “You’ve got a friend in me.” —Randy Newman
- “When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, but I'll be there for you.” —The Rembrandts
- “Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you.” —Misty Copeland
- “Stay close to people who feel like sunlight.” —Xan Oku
- “Just call my name and I’ll be there.” —Jackson 5
- “It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.” —Marlene Dietrich
Encourage Her to Take Time for Self-Care
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: “Make self-care a non-negotiable”. This is true for everyone since taking care of oneself first allows you to boost energy to live a more balanced, happier life. And it’s especially important during stressful times. Taking care of yourself can ultimately strengthen mental, physical, and emotional health.
Our Large Fortune Cookie Locket (which also comes in a medium size) is designed to hold a fortune rolled up for only her to see or choose to share with others.
- Motivate her to dedicate some time to taking care of herself—even something seemingly small like taking a bath with essential oils, trying calligraphy, or taking a social media detox, can do wonders for her well-being.
- Check in on her and ask if she’s getting enough sleep, eating well, and if there’s anything you can do to help.
- Giving gifts doesn’t necessarily need to be material goods; it can be helping her with errands so she can have free time to unwind. Is there a meditation app that you can’t start your day without or a yoga workout you love? Make a list of self-care activities that work for you and personal notes on how it can help her.
Need help finding good self-care quotes for her? Consider…
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” —Brené Brown
- “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” – Audre Lorde
- “Trust yourself enough to say no when something's not right and yes when it most definitely is.”
- “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” —Roy T. Bennett
- “Self-care is giving the world the best of you, instead of what’s left of you.” — Katie Reed
- Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
- “Love yourself first and then everything falls into line.” —Lucille Ball
Make Her Laugh, No Matter How Hard She Tries Not to!
They say laughter is the best medicine, so go on, bring on the comic relief!
Again, it depends on the situation since hard times can be tricky to handle, but if it’s appropriate, use humor as a tool to help brighten up her day. Laughter can combat stress, anxiety, and fear, and it may make both of you happier to talk about a light-hearted topic. Some ways to do so are watching a comedy, sending her a hilarious meme, or having a dance party in pajamas—get creative and plan out something based on her personality that you think would make her smile.
Mix and match: Our Sphere Secret Ring comes in gold and silver and can be worn together or separately.
If you’ve known each other for a while, you can reminisce in an embarrassing moment together. Nostalgic memories may resonate well, and help her think of the good old times.
Funny, yet oddly inspiring, messages to help turn her frown upside down:
- “In the cookie of life, friends are the chocolate chips.” —Salman Rushdie
- “Ghost hug! You can’t feel it, but it’s there!”
- “Laugh a lot. It burns a lot of calories.” —Jessica Simpson
- “Life status: currently holding it all together with one bobby pin.” —Unknown
- “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” —Thomas Edison
- “Embrace the glorious mess that you are.” —Elizabeth Gilbert
- “If you stumble, make it part of the dance.” —Unknown
Give Her Something to Hope for
No matter what she’s going through, encouraging her to hold on to hope may change her overall mindset for the better. Gratitude goes hand in hand with hope, and no matter the situation, it could always be worse. There’s power in thinking positively—embracing hope can help her reduce stress, have faith in others, and take control of her life. Remind her that change takes time, and it’s okay to feel all the feels.
Show her how much you care with a gift to cheer her up that carries a hopeful message.
Our Heart + Arrow Bracelet doubles as a holder of a secret scroll.
Some words on wishful thinking…
- “Win your mind. Win your life.”
- “Hurry up and fail so you can win.”
- “Let yourself dream again.”
- “Get your hopes up.”
- “Let things unfold. Relinquish control.”
- Then one day you woke up and it was bright outside. And light inside.
- “One day you’ll look back at right now and say, "If I got through that, I can get through anything." And that will truly be a gift.”
Want to read more on inspirational messages? Check out:
- 5 ways to get out of a negative headspace and go-to tips on how to reset your thoughts.
How to pick a meaningful gift for her and thoughtful messages to go with.
- Get creative with different ways to express love with 37 fortune cookie sayings about the topic.
- Our 30th birthday gift ideas is full of messages and gifts to make her day special
- Read our tips to keep the love alive when sending gifts in a long distance relationship
- Meaningful song lyrics about life to change the outlook for the day
- Find the perfect gift for a girl best friend or shop string friendship bracelets